Good Friday is probably not the best day to write about this but I have about 20 minutes before I need to get the boys up and I am ready for work. 20 minutes to write is a HUGE block of time for me now.
Yesterday my boss and I finally had it out. The pressure had been building and building and yesterday I finally blew.
I had my annual GYN appt yesterday morning and I mention to the doctor some trouble I've been having digestively and rectally. You know where this is going. Yep, colonoscopy. So I get back to work and tell them everything looks fine gyno-wise but that she was calling the internist at my family doctor's practice to order a colonoscopy. The gyno's office calls back a bit later and says they have it scheduled. For next Friday. The last Friday of the month. And, they want me to take all day Thursday off to prep. I told her there was no way my boss would let me take two days off in a row at month end. She said the next available date would not be until the end of July and neither of the doctors suggest I wait that long. I said I'd talk to my boss.
My boss said just what I thought she'd say, NO! That's right, she denied me time off for a medical procedure that they do not suggest I wait 3 months for. I told her fine, I would call and cancel and that she could call the office and set up something that she feels would work better and I walked out of her office. She got really mad and called me back into her office and that's when I lost it. I let her know everything that I have felt over the years, especially the last year during the adoption process. She said feels like she has been supportive and treated me the same as the PG girls. She feels she actually gives me preferential treatment over the others. What?? Obviously, she doesn't remember ever telling me when I could and couldn't accept a placement and take time off. She doesn't remember telling me that E would have had to take daddy-leave if we had been picked for the baby that was due in February. She doesn't remember asking me after every caseworker phone call if the child was white, etc, etc. Anyway, this went on for about 20 minutes and in the end we are still talking but I know it will never be the same. I feel bad. I feel like I am just way to sensitive a lot of the time and she feels she has done nothing wrong. She says she thinks of me as a daughter so I asked her what she would tell her own daughter if her doctor wanted her to have a colonoscopy immediately and her boss wouldn't let her. What would she tell her daughter? She said her daughter would have the colonoscopy. Okay then.
Well, I'm having mine next Friday but I think I'm only taking Thursday afternoon off to prep.
I had better run. My free time is up and the boys start their new day care today. Have a blessed Good Friday, everyone! I am in awe at the sacrifice Jesus made for me!
Jane 23
5 months ago

5 comments:
How brave of you to stand up to your boss! I think that she was being completely unreasonable! A colonoscopy is a big deal! It's not like you were asking for two days off to go to the spa!
If you want any tips I've had four done. The prep is the worst part and hopefully you get a good sedative.
good job for standing up to what looks like an awfully hard person to work for!! Praying your colonscopy goes well :)
Oh my goodness, that is crazy! I am glad you stood up for what you needed. I agree with JellyBelly about the spa part - seriously, this is for your health for goodness sakes!!! I hope you get the answers you need, I am sorry that you had to deal with the stress at work on top of the medical stuff.
Hopefully things get back to normal with your boss soon!
Good for you. Sometimes, saying it like it is is necessary. I am proud of you (I would not have handled it so graciously!)
ugh your boss makes me mad! I want to talk to her!!!!! You have to take care of your health, I'm pretty sure she could get in BIG trouble for trying to keep you from an important medical procedure! you take Thursday off missy!!!! Prep is not fun! I'll be praying for you!
Post a Comment