Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Long have I waited for your coming.....

So I have about 20 minutes before my show, NC.IS comes on. It's just about the only show I stop everything to watch!

My in-laws and nieces just left. My, but my house is not child proof! I'm going to have to work on that!

Which brings us to the adoption! We met last Wednesday with the director of the agency we have chosen. Her name is Suzanne and she is wonderful! Super wonderful! She put us immediately at ease about the whole process of adoption from foster care. She also gave us some awesome news about newborn adoption in the counties they cover. As of right now, there are only 2 families home study ready for a newborn. And, they have already placed 2 babies this year. What that means is that the wait for a newborn is averaging about 1 year compared to the statistical average of 3 to 5 years. Which brings me to our decision. We have decided to go ahead with waiting child adoption but we are also going to start the newborn process in the very near future. We need to put the financial end of newborn adoption in order but I think we can do it. What we cannot raise ourselves I know the credit union I work for would loan us.

We feel doing both processes will put us in the best position to accept whatever child God makes available to us. We would like a newborn but I can see us with a 3 or 4 year old, too. My nieces are 2 and 4 and they are so much fun!

So that's it in a nutshell. My hubby had his pre-adoption physical and fingerprinting done today. I have my physical tomorrow and fingerprinting on Thursday. Then the top priority things will be done and we'll be ready to start the home study process. The agency is backed up a month or two but they are going to hire another social worker. We will most likely be assigned to the new social worker. A smaller case load means quicker turn around time, right? In 8 to 12 weeks we could be parents if we are matched with a child! Seems unreal!

Last week one of my credit union members asked if I had all my eggs dyed and if I was ready for the Easter bunny. I replied "I don't do that stuff"! My co-worker, Erica, said, "you will"! It stopped me in my tracks! I will!!!!! And very soon! I will do all of the fun stuff that has broke my heart over the last 12 years! Seeing my family doing all of the holiday things you do with your child. I felt so left out. Very soon it will be my turn to color Easter eggs, plan Halloween costumes, go see Santa....all those fun things we do with our children. And, I will be able to tell my child that I waited so long for them. And that they were wanted and prayed for. And that they were handed picked, just for us, by God himself. That will be just so cool.......

7 comments:

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

Oh M, I am so very excited for you! It is amazing to see how God is opening the doors all around you and I am so encouraged by your faithfulness and JOY in all of this. It is coming through the computer screen! Hey and next year - you too can make the bunny cakes! (But your angel food dessert sounded super yummy as well!) God Bless you my dear friend and God speed on the adoption front!

WheelbarrowRider said...

That is awesome news! Congratulations! Btw, dh and I color eggs and made baskets for each other each year, prior to our son and now still. I guess it is just the kid in us! So excited that your heart and house will be full so soon!

Jenny said...

You are right... that will be very cool! I hope it all goes smoothly and you have a full house very soon!

Anonymous said...

oh wow! I'm so excited for you! we will keep you in our prayers, that everything goes smoothly :)

prayerfuljourney said...

Sounds so exciting!!!! Praying for you and your dh...I hope the wait for a child is not long for you! God Bless.

alliemich said...

I hope your adoption process keeps rolling smoothly - my husband and I are going to a preliminary meeting tuesday night, but sadly can't even apply until october when we've been married for 2 years. How can single women adopt yet marrieds have to have been married for 2 years or more in some countries??!! It makes me so angry. I am still learning the lingo - what does waiting child mean? older child? are you with an agency or have your own social worker?

some how, some way, some day said...

Alliemich,if you want to e-mail me go ahead! I'd love to chat.

I think they require that you are married 2 years to test the stability of the relationship. They want to reduce the risk of a possible divorce to spare the child any more pain.

A waiting child is a child that is in the foster care system. They are typically 3 or older. Any child under 3 usually falls into the infant programs. We are adopting a waiting child, hopefully between 3 and 5 years of age.

We are going through an agency. We are with Bethany Christian Services.

Let me know if you have more questions! I've added you to my blog roll so I can follow your story.