Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Two Sons

What glorious sunshine we are having this weekend! Two whole days of sunshine has given me so much energy. Yesterday I finally had the chance to take down the Christmas things. I had two three day weekends in a row but I had so much going on I barely had time to do a little vacuuming. This weekend my DH is working so it's just me and the boys cleaning things up! Living in an 80 year old house with forced air heat and having 2 yellow labs means I need to vacuum every day. Not that I do vacuum every day but I should. I have thought about getting a robovac. Clean while I'm at work, right?
Here are a couple of photos of my boys:
My Maximo

My Buddy Boo Bear


Those were taken on two separate camping trips in 2007 and 2008. They basically look the same today except Buddy doesn't have the funky left eye. He was recovering from a bee sting when that photo was taken. We got Buddy at 8 weeks old back in 2005. We got him right after I miscarried, before my precious Grampa passed away and before my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away. Buddy and I have been through a lot together and he has never left my side during it all. I remember sitting on the kitchen floor when I got the call about Grampa. Buddy was right there with me, licking my tears away with his little puppy tongue. He gave me joy at that moment, reminding me Grampa was now in heaven with Jesus and my grandma and all his siblings and his death should be a celebration of a full life. Four months later when Dad was diagnosed with small-cell carcinoma I spend a lot of time away from home. I went to my dad's every day after work and wouldn't get home until late. Buddy was always waiting at the door when I walked in. Always waiting for a snuggle while I cried over my father's suffering. My father's illness was short compared to most. The cancer took him in just over three months.
Max came to us in 2007. He and Buddy are brothers from the same litter. Max's owners split up and he went back to the breeders who are friends of ours. They asked if we would be willing to take him and after meeting him we said yes. Max was abused and neglected. He has some real issues we have had to work on over the years. Even at four years old he still eats stuff. He is such a counter surfer! I have started setting mouse traps to train him to quit snooping on the kitchen counter. Last week, before I started setting the traps, he ate the cover off a cookbook. He'll eat anything. But in all other ways he has improved so much and I have to say he is a pretty good dog. I love both my boys and I don't know what I'd do without them.
Well, I'm off. I've already scrubbed my bathroom, changed the bedding, done several loads of laundry and written this post but there is still much to do today. Like plop in the recliner and sew on the embroidered baby quilt top I am making. So far I am not making for anyone but it is fun to do. I am past the point where it hurts to make baby things. Have a beautiful Sunday, everyone!



2 comments:

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

Oh they're so cute! My parents have 4 chocolate labs and even though I am more of a cat person, you can't beat labs for their loyalty and love. Sounds like you had a productive weekend - those are great! Have a good week!

Stephanie said...

I wanted to stop by and tell you, I too, am a Catholic wife, who plays Mama to two dogs-both girls though. :-)
Vinny and I my husband, went through years of infertility. I guess no one ever expects to have trouble doing the very thing you tried to avoid for so long, but we were dx with unexplained infertility and coming from such prolific families, both of us being identical twins, we were shocked when it just didn't work.
My thoughts are with you as you go through this process. It's so tough, I know. I'll add you guys to my prayer list.
xo