Sunday, January 9, 2011

Adjusting to our new life

Thank you so much for all your comments! Life has turned a 180 on us and it is so awesome! If anything exciting happens or prayers are needed in our community please e-mail me. I have no time to read and I don't know when I will again.

The boys are both still asleep. The first night was a late one and they didn't get to bed until 11. They slept until 9. I know, 10 hours! Last night they were in bed just after 10 and it us just after 8 now. Another 10 hour night. I doubt this will last many more nights. I think they have been overwhelmed by their life so far and being in a warm, safe environment they are catching up on their lost sleep.

We are going to work their bedtimes back by an hour each day over the next few nights. My goal is to have them in bed by 7:30 or 8 because mornings are going to come awful early around these parts. D will need to get on the bus about 8:15 and then I will take C to my MIL's on my way to work. The bus picks up the neighbor boy and I see it every morning when I go out to start my car.

This is assuming they are still with us after tomorrow's permanency placement meeting. We meet at 3 at DHS with CPS and any interested parties they may have found. I highly doubt there will be any. We hope to be able to keep these boys for as long as we can. I am praying forever but prepared if that is not the case. We will do the best we can by them for the time they are with us.

Their aunt sent me a FB message yesterday asking if the boys we had were her nephews. We were friends in high school and became FB friends just a few weeks ago. She had seen my FB posting about fostering two boys ages 2 and 4. That matched her nephews ages and she knows where we live. She said she had found out yesterday her sister had her children removed from her care. (Mom is actually in jail but I didn't say anything. She is in E's facility.) Auntie went on to write that she cried her heart out when she found out the boys had been removed and she prayed to God that they would go to a good home. She cried tears of joy when she read my post. She knew it was God's way of reassuring her that her nephews were safe. She thanked me and thanked God. She wrote that I have no idea what those boys have been through. I'm not sure I want to know.

C has a sore on his right arm. It was a bit blistered and looked a little infected so Friday night after his bath I put some cream on it and a band-aid. He said his mommy hurt him. He said she burned him. He is 2. Where would that come from if it wasn't true? I wrote it down and I'll bring it up at tomorrow's meeting. My MIL changed his band-aid yesterday and he told her that mommy hurt him. He didn't tell her that she burned him just that mommy hurt him.

D hasn't really said anything. He hasn't mentioned mommy or anyone else in his life. he did tell me that he had 3 dogs at home but that one was missing. He couldn't remember their names. C cried at bedtime and nap time yesterday that he wanted to go home and that he missed his mommy. I just told him that mommy loves him and she misses him but that he is going to stay with us for a little bit. I keep reassuring these boys that they are wonderful little boys and that we love having them stay with us. I keep telling them that we have always wanted little boys just like them to come and stay with us. I don't know what else to say to them. Will that ease their troubled hearts?

They are outgoing little guys. D is a little pleaser. He tries to hard to do the right thing and his smile rarely leaves his face. C is the more dominant personality and is a bit more challenging and a bit of a daredevil, too. They play very well together and entertain each other. I have been working very hard to get this house in order with all the extra stuff and toys. Diapers and wipes, all that is so new to me. C is still in diapers but we are going to start working on potty training today. D wears pull-ups at night but he was dry Saturday morning.

Speaking of morning I had better get those 2 up. E is working so I am on my own today. My mom is coming up sometime today to meet the boys and I've got more laundry to do. If anything is wonky in this post forgive me. I am pretty tired and kind of spacey. I know it will get easier and honestly it hasn't been too bad!

11 comments:

Rebecca Frech said...

I can hear the hope and tentative joy in this post. It is so nice to see. They are lucky to have your safe home, even if it is just for now. (Even better if it is longer than that!)

I don't know what I could do, but please email me if you need anything..even if it's just a sympathetic ear.

I'm glad this is going well so far. God bless you for helping them to be safe. Safe is so important.

Sew said...

I wish I could come over!!!!!

You sound just like a new Mom! And trust your gut, God will not let you down! ;)

You are doing a wonderful job! Thank you so much for the update! I will be stalking and praying for you!

Julie said...

You are in my prayers!! and so are those little boys!

My husband and I are foster care certified but have not received a placement. God chose a different plan for us and we have an adopted daughter who came to us through a private adoption.

We would LOVE to foster/adopt in the future. My heart goes out to you and your journey.

If you want some support, one of my friends (the one that inspired us to get foster certified) has a blog you could check out and contact her.

It is http://micahandkirsten.blogspot.com/

She is amazing!!

Meg @ True, Good and Beautiful said...

Praying so hard for you guys and the boys. You will be such a blessing and sign of God's love for them.

Keep updating!

Hebrews 11:1 said...

I agree with Sew, trust your own instincts. How wonderful that these boys have you to take care of them and give them a loving home.

Little JoAnn said...

Wow! What lucky little fellows! Your game plan is fabulous!

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

I read this and thought two thoughts 1) wow - isn't that cool how the boys are adapting and oh that is so sad about "mommy hurts me" and how blessed they are to have you and E to care for them and 2) OH MY GOODNESS M's dream is coming true and God has blessed them with these 2 darling boys and and am I really reading this on her blog when just days ago it was looking less than hopeful for fostering? This is so cool! God is good and his blessings are abundant and we never know when they are going to show up!

Megan said...

I am praying for you! These boys are so lucky to have you taking care of them!
So interesting about the aunt facebooking you!
Praying for that the placement hearing goes well tomorrow!

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

My heart is swelling with gratitude to God that these boys are in a safe, loving, warm home. God bless you all (and the boys' family) and I will pray that they can stay with you FOREVER!!

Danya @ He Adopted Me First said...

Like Leila, I'll pray that they stay! Blessings on all of your beautiful heads!

alliemich said...

WOW am I ever behind??!!! Ive got some catching up to do on your blog!!! Congratulations, prayers your way :)