Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy Gram and Happy Birthday(s)

Whew, it is Saturday morning and I am hoping for a few minutes to catch my breath before the boys get up. They are off to the races the minute they sit up in bed! I make it sound like a bad thing but truly I love it!

We have had a really good week. D got a Happy Gram from school on Wednesday thanking him for using good manners at breakfast and lunch. It was his first Happy Gram from school this year. E copied it and took it to their mom for her to see. She was pleased. Thursday night when I got to my in-laws to pick up the boys my MIL said she had to talk to me. My heart sank, I thought it was something bad. She said when she went out to get D off the bus the driver wanted to talk to her. The driver told my MIL that D is a totally different boy. That he is talkative and engaging. Before he came to stay with us he was withdrawn and quiet. She said he is turning into a confident little boy and that he needs to stay with us. Huh...this came from his bus driver! I cannot wait to talk to his teacher! My MIL said she teared up talking to his driver. We all just adore these boys and want them to succeed in every possible way. They have been with us just 3 weeks. Can you imagine what they can become with positive role models and a strong family structure for the rest of their lives?

I talked to C's dad last night on the phone. We are doing 2 10 minute phone calls or 1 visit and 1 10 minute phone call weekly. C talks to his dad for about a minute and then E or I talk to him. His dad is filing a petition to get his son. He wants him with him really bad. I don't blame him a bit as C is a great little guy. Very busy and hungry little guy but very charming all the same. His dad sounds really nice and he sounds sincere. We talked about C's unending appetite which appears to be more emotional than physical and his lack of a bedtime or nap routine. His dad seems to have a pretty good grasp on these things. C was down there for a month before Thanksgiving and according to his dad it went really well. They are going to have a visit next Friday at one of the agency's offices mid-way between where we live and where his dad lives. A transporter or our CW will take C and possibly D to see their dads if D's dad can get it together.

D has not seen his dad since he was maybe 2. He turned 4 in October. So far dad does not seem real vocal about wanting his son. Not like C's dad is. It is sad, really. I would be moving heaven and earth for these kids and he cannot return calls for a week or more. I don't get it.

Well, I had better run. Today is my birthday I have to go bake my cake. D is allergic to eggs so I am baking an egg-free cake and decorating it myself. I let the boys pick my decorations and we are having a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake and party. This may be the only birthday they are here for so we want to make it a good one!

Oh, and on another note, the baby that we were hoping to adopt was born yesterday! He is a healthy little boy at 6lbs, 5oz and 21 1/2 inches long. His birthday is the day before mine!!

9 comments:

prayerfuljourney said...

Wow...so much going on in your life...and I bet you are just loving the experience...everything seems to be happening so fast, huh? God is good. I pray we'll be hearing about that healthy baby boy coming home to you very soon too!

Happy Birthday!!!!

Julie said...

Happy Birthday!!
Praying for you and all the boys in your life!!

some how, some way, some day said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Prayerful Journey, in the new baby photos I saw Mom is wearing an engagement ring. It looks like they may be committed to each other and to the baby. It's what is best for baby as long as they stay committed!

Megan said...

Happy Birthday! :)

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

I am just hanging on every word. Can I just say that you are an amazing woman? I admire you so much. Your impact on these boys will be lifelong, no matter what. God bless you, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Nicole C said...

Happy Birthday! It's so cool to hear how the boys are progressing with you! :)

JellyBelly said...

Happy birthday!!!!

Those boys are so lucky to be in your care!!!

Lena said...

Happy Birthday!

I wish we could see pictures, but I'm guess you have good reasons for not posting any.

A Mickey Mouse cake sounds fun.

WheelbarrowRider said...

You are so strong and I admire you so incredibly much for keeping the goal in mind that these boys do well, regardless of where that is. I know you love them and want what is best. You are providing such an amazing environment and they are thriving. And yet you have no idea how long it will continue. I can not imagine how difficult that must be. I really think you and dh are doing something amazing!