Tuesday night as I was trying to settle C down to sleep for the 15th time in 45 minutes the following thought popped into my head. I thought to myself "this would be so much easier if this was my kid". Oh, instant guilt! I am treating having these boys as a temporary situation but if it isn't and I get to keep them forever will my thoughts change? Will I keep remembering that I did not give birth to these boys? And, would challenges be less if I had birthed them? I think not. I think we would still have challenges on the same scale. Right now, bedtime for C is our biggest challenge. Many things have improved in the almost 2 weeks they have been with us. Bedtime has been a slow process.
We are trying to do quiet, calm things the hour or so before bed. We only do a bath every other day because of C's eczema. We get jammies on early and read a book or two. I have no trouble with D. He is so ready for bed every night. C is just a different boy, the complete opposite of his brother. He never wants to go to sleep.
Last night, Wednesday, was a huge success! It didn't start that way as the boys were fighting terribly. I thought I was going to have to check their anatomy because they were pinching and pulling each other's hair. I swore I had two little girls instead of two little boys. At 7:45 I was done with it. We put on jammies, read a story and put both boys in bed. I laid in my bed for 15 minutes or so. They were both out in 5. Wow! Parenting success! They slept straight through until 6:30 this morning. Awesome! But, every parenting success is usually coupled with a failure. In my haste to get those two crabbies to bed I forgot to fill the humidifier in their room. D woke up with blood on his pillow. Another nose bleed. Ah, well, we can try to redeem ourselves tonight!
************************************************************
Tomorrow is Mom's prelim hearing. I am attending but E cannot. He is working tomorrow and unless he transports her to the courthouse he cannot go. Neither of us are comfortable with him doing the transporting of their mom so I will go alone. I'll let you guys know how she pleads but I anticipate a not-guilty plea. She has done nothing wrong in her own eyes.
Jane 23
5 months ago

4 comments:
Praying for you and those boys!!
Oh, gosh. I am praying for that hearing. So sad. It sounds like you are doing an amazing job loving those boys!!!
Praying for you and for the mom that she will accept the truth. Our kids' mom doesn't seem to think she has done anything to contribute to this situation. Have you ever listened to http://fosterpodcast.com/? Tim and Wendy do a great job talking about their experiences with their now adopted daughters who had been in the foster care system for 2 years. There are 94 episodes, and you will enjoy all of them.
You are doing awesome! Consistency is key and it is so cool that you are already seeing results. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment