Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday already?

Wow, is it really Saturday already? Yes, I have been very busy! I want to thank you all for your words and prayers. They mean so much to us!

D has had only the one nosebleed last Sunday. We have a humidifier going in their room 24 hours a day and I believe that is helping. I discovered Tuesday that C's skin issue is severe eczema. (I may be repeating myself) We are struggling to get it cleared up. It starts to get better and then one of the patches gets really inflamed and starts to look infected. It is horrible! I am hoping their doctor will test C and retest D for food allergies as some of you mentioned the eczema can be triggered by allergies. Last night C started coughing during the night and ended up vomiting. I was afraid it was the flu but I believe it was his gag reflex from coughing. That was a first for E and I! Cleaning up a kid and changing bedding at 3:30 in the morning.

Now, I feel like I need to clear something up. I feel unworthy of your admiration. I'm dealing with this whole situation the only way I possibly can. Honestly, I want to grab these kids, get on a plane and fly them far, far away. That is what I want to do. What I have to do is my job. I understand that reunification is the goal right now. That could change any time but for now I am taking care of someone else's children.

That does not mean I cannot love them, hug them, kiss then and tell them how happy I am they are here with us. I tear up a little when C says he wants to go home and that he misses his mommy.I force myself to tell him convincingly that mommy loves him and misses him too. It his hard to hear him talk about how they hurt him and still have to say they love him very much. It is very hard when one minute he says he misses her and the next he says she hurts him.

I am teaching these kids something that they have to learn. That living with adults should not be scary or painful. That they should feel loved and secure and warm and comfortable.

I don't know what is going to happen with these boys. They could end up with some other family members or back with their mom. Or, they may end up becoming available for adoption. I just can't see what is going to happen. What I do know is that if they leave I will cry. And, if they can stay with us forever, I will cry.

7 comments:

Julie said...

This journey is exactly where God wants you...no matter how it turns out. Your purpose is to be there for these kids right now and God will give you the strength to take each day at a time!

I pray for you that you may have peace and joy as you make your way down this path, not knowing what waits at the end!

My husband and I are foster certified too and this type of situation scares me. I am not sure I could do it. I am learning a lot by following your posts!

Lena said...

You and E are love in action.

You are teaching these children that love does NOT equal abuse.

It doesn't make sense to our adult minds for a child to miss and love an abusive parent, but a child psychologist could probably explain that situation. I'm not an expert.

In the meantime, Happy Sunday

JellyBelly said...

I admire you so much!!! I don't know if I could do what you are doing!

As for the little guy's eczema. Make sure he's wearing 100% cotton. I have suffered with eczema my whole life and if I wear any synthetic fibres it drives me nuts and I start to itch. Also make sure you're using unscented detergent. Lastly, get some Cetaphil. It's a very gentle
cleanser and I've used it for years!

Mary said...

I can't believe how far behind I was!!!! Just caught up! Wow! This is amazing!
I am so glad that these boys are in your care right now. No matter what happens or how short or long their time is with you, I truly believe you two will make an impact. You're all in my prayers!!!

prayerfuljourney said...

These boys are very lucky to have this time of completely safety in their lives. I'm not surprised that they miss their mommy...they love her...they have a bond with her eventhough she has hurt them. I don't think it's something that is easy to understand....but children just don't like to be away from their mothers.

I like that you are sharing your story since my dh and I have been contiplating foster care. Thanks! I don't know if I could give the children back either...it is hard but it's what foster care is all about..so for now...you are doing the right thing by keeping them safe and comfortable. Lord willing (and I will pray)..that whom ever takes them...will give them the same thing.

Nicole C said...

Wow, you said that so beautifully! It's clear that those children are where they're supposed to be, no matter what happens in the end! God bless!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and E are doing a great job with those boys! Whatever way the Lord chooses for you, you two make great parents :) You and those boys are in my prayers.